To learn more about the New Canaan Urgent Assessment Program, visit its webpage.

Silver Linings Magazine

Silver Hill Hospital

The Silver Lining is an art and literature magazine by the Silver Hill Community.

All of the work included in The Silver Lining is created by our patients, alumni, volunteers and/or staff. First published in July 2005 by a Transitional Living Program group, the name was chosen from a contest entry submitted by a patient in that group, Michael.

Cover art by Susan

Excerpt:

Dear Pain, 

How do I explain, my whole life got re-arranged upside down, twisted and deranged, trying to cut off the signal to my brain. All alone, guilt stricken and ashamed, the more I fight you the tighter we remain. My heart and soul weakened by the strain. I rather die than stick a needle in my vein. I can’t get high, even with the world to blame, why I even try, I wish I could refrain. My life will never be the same, sitting on the sidelines of the game when this is my time to be playing but the pain keeps on delaying. Now it seems I’m always waiting, indecisive and contemplating. This pain has got me saying I’ve lost faith even in praying. All the time I’m misbehaving when every dime, I could be saving. Now the pain triggers a craving that turns me into a caveman, then binds me into enslavement, leaves my face smashed flat on the pavement. Then roll me into my grave man where, here lies once a brave man, broken down by his pain and, eventually went insane then!

— Alec