An Environment of Care
Silver Hill is an independent, not-for-profit psychiatric hospital that is nationally accredited by the independent Joint Commission. Silver Hill has been a standout among the top psychiatric hospitals in Connecticut and beyond, for adults and adolescents, since it’s founding in 1931.
What Sets Us Apart
Silver Hill is unlike any other psychiatric or addiction treatment facility, because it combines so many outstanding elements into one environment of care:
A Legacy of Service
Founded in 1931, Silver Hill has become a nationally recognized leader in mental health for adults and adolescents. Our sole focus is on the treatment of psychiatric and addiction disorders and, as a not-for-profit hospital, all our resources are returned to the patient experience.
A Healing Environment
Our home-like residences nestled within the hospital’s beautiful 44-acre campus paint a picture of a quiet country retreat: welcoming, warm and healing. Everything in this tranquil setting has been carefully designed to foster your process of recovery. Our six residential programs are designed to treat specific patient populations and disorders. All of the residences have been recently renovated to ensure your safety and comfort.
We provide access to the treatment you need, when you need it, all in one location – from Inpatient to Transitional Living to Intensive Outpatient programs. This means there is no disruption of your treatment or dislocation in your care. You can move seamlessly from one level of treatment to another depending on your current needs. During your stay at Silver Hill, you have ready access to staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Silver Hill takes a comprehensive team approach to your psychiatric care. Our staff includes 15 board-certified psychiatrists, most of whom are certified in two or more specializations. These psychiatrists work closely with licensed nurses, social workers, counselors, therapists, technicians and other staff. We have a particularly high staff to patient ratio, and many of our staff have made their careers here, devoting themselves to the compassionate treatment of their patients.
The patients who walk through our doors are not the only ones who are affected by a particular illness, off course. So are the families that stand with them. Family members are often the ones who bring patients to Silver Hill and take them home after their treatment. They play an important role in recovery. We support them throughout treatment and beyond, with regular meetings and programs that foster understanding and lead to a positive outcome.
Partnership With Referring Clinicians
Treatment begins in the community with your referring clinician, and continues during your care at Silver Hill and after discharge. From initial diagnosis through post-hospital care, we have been collaborating with referring clinicians for eight decades. We work hard to earn their trust every day. When they refer to Silver Hill, they can be confident that we are here to partner with them in the treatment of even the most complex and difficult presentations.
Evidence Based Therapies
Our clinicians have the skills to employ a wide range of traditional, alternative and complementary therapies that all have one thing in common: They are proven to alleviate symptoms and contribute to your recovery when employed skillfully and appropriately.
Treatment of Co-Occurring Disorders
In many instances, patients are experiencing more than one illness at the same time when they come to Silver Hill. For instance, you may suffer with both a substance abuse issue and depression. Or you may struggle with both an eating disorder and anxiety. The world-class clinicians of Silver Hill take a multi-disciplinary team approach to your care. Together they have the breadth of knowledge and skill to treat co-occurring conditions simultaneously, which is the best approach for a successful recovery.
Exploring Silver Hill
- Clinical Team & Staff – Get acquainted with our outstanding clinicians and staff. Their credentials are impeccable and their training intense. More than that, they genuinely care about the individuals they treat.
- Our History – Our highlights since 1931, as we build a renown treatment destination on one beautiful campus for those seeking relief from cognitive, behavioral and emotional disorders.
- Our Campus & Houses – View the healing environment of Silver Hill, the integration of our beautiful and tranquil campus with comprehensive care.
- Location & Visiting Hours – When to visit Silver Hill and how to get to campus.
- Board of Directors – A listing of the Board of Directors, leaders from across a wide spectrum of expertise.
- Careers – See Silver Hill’s career opportunities, for individuals who have a passion to make a difference in the lives of our patients.
- Volunteer – How you can join us as an integral part of Silver Hill in support of our patients, their families and our staff. We are eager to create a role that allows you to give back and use your talents and skills.
- Support for Silver Hill – Your philanthropy can help us meet and exceed the goals of our mission, changing lives along the way. Please consider making a contribution in support of the good work of Silver Hill Hospital, knowing that your gift really does make a difference.
Accreditations & Accolades
Licensed by the State of Connecticut as a Hospital for the Mentally Ill
Accredited by The Joint Commission for:
Hospital Accreditation Program
Behavioral Health Program
Opioid Treatment Program
Certified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (Medicare only)
Getting to Know Silver Hill Hospital
From their first day on campus through outpatient follow-up, Silver Hill patients receive thorough, clinically astute treatment from a staff of expert clinicians.Meet our clinicians
Levels of Care
Silver Hill offers three levels of care: inpatient, transitional living and outpatient treatment. Take a look at these programs to see where you might fit in.Explore our levels of care
What We Treat
Our broad range of services and therapies allow flexible treatment planning specific to each patient’s needs.Learn more about what we treat