Symptoms & Treatment
Anxiety Disorders are the most common mental illnesses in the US. They affect 40 million adults and one in eight children in a given year in the U.S. They are characterized by persistent, excessive and unrealistic worry about everyday things that lasts at least six months. Some, like PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) can be triggered by violence or a traumatic event. Anxiety disorders often co-occur with other disorders, such as depression, eating disorders, substance use disorders, and in children, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
An anxiety disorder goes beyond getting nervous about public speaking or going on a first date. People with these disorders experience:
- Overwhelming feelings of panic and fear
- Uncontrollable obsessive thoughts
- Painful, intrusive memories
- Recurring nightmares
- Physical symptoms such as feeling sick to your stomach, “butterflies” in your stomach, heart pounding, startling easily, and muscle tension.
Silver Hill Hospital treats teens and adults who need treatment for anxiety. After an evaluation patients are placed on our inpatient unit for crisis stabilization and/or medication management. After inpatient treatment some patients move on to our 28-day transitional living program.
- The Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- National Institute of Mental Health
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- 100 Questions and Answers About Anxiety, Khleber Atwell
- The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook, Edmund Bourne
- The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry, Lisa Schab
Get to Know Silver Hill Hospital
From their first day on campus through outpatient follow-up, Silver Hill patients receive thorough, clinically astute treatment from a staff of expert clinicians.Meet our clinicians
Levels of Care
Silver Hill offers three levels of care: inpatient, transitional living and outpatient treatment. Take a look at these programs to see where you might fit in.Explore our levels of care
What We Treat
Our broad range of services and therapies allow flexible treatment planning specific to each patient’s needs.Learn more about what we treat